Maria's Racing Journal

This blog is a collection of my race reports and a few other random things. I am a member of CRCA's Radical Media Bicycle Racing Team based in NYC.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Harlem Rocks!! June, 2008




I really really wanted to do Housatonic, but with my coach's urging and the idea of being able to ride my bike to the start line, Harlem won.  

The race was fun.  It was a bit sketchy at times with so many new riders in the field, but I knew what wheel to be on and figured I would take lots of wind and stay safe up front.  I felt fine and my goal was to get a great speed workout and enjoy the atmosphere. 

There was one crash.  Luckily no one was seriously injured.  It happened right behind me and the crunching sound of metal is not one I get used to.

A couple women got off the front after a prime and I tried to organize a few of us to chase.  No one would work though and I think some of the riders were really exhausted. 

On the final turn into the final sprint I was right were I wanted to be.  Suddenly I was bumped from the right and left at the same time.  It was scary and I had to really focus to stay upright.  I managed, but did lose quite a few places leading into the sprint.  I finished 9th, the same placing that I got 2 years ago as a cat 4 racer doing my first criterium/first real race.  It's all good though.  I had a great time and there was a cold 40 ouncer waiting for me on the sidelines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home