Jiminy Peak Road Race 5/3/07
The morning was cold, damp and windy. Ashley, Maggie and I would represent the team at this year's race at Jiminy Peak.
The pace was on the slow side at the start of the race, but soon the attacks started. There was one after another, after another. Maggie and I were up front at one point and she looked over at me and mouthed for me to attack. I figured she would counter attack and hopefully get away. I waited a moment and then slowly positioned myself to the right of the field. I then took a deep breath and attacked with everything I had. I was chased down fairly quick but I didn't mind since the point was to set up Maggie for a counter-attack. It never happened. She got a flat. :(
On the next lap we caught the two girls that had gotten off of the front. As the finish approached, the pace increased. Ashley and I were staying near the front. We needed to be in the top 10 or so coming into the last turn before the finishing climb. The two of us managed to do this and then I told Ashley to hop onto my wheel. Some ladies took off early on the climb and I was trying to catch them, but their pace was brutal. My legs were done, but I hoped I could get Ashley closer to the group so she could get a good place and some upgrade points. I guess I slowed down (sorry A., I was dying!) and Ashley started to come around me. I tried to increase the pace, hoping she would jump back on my wheel. The rest is a blur to me since I was so exhausted. I could see the riders ahead of me and the tent at the finish line, but I wasn't sure if Ashley was still on my wheel and I didn't have the energy to ask or look back. I put my head down and just pushed one leg after the other waiting for the misery I was feeling in my thighs to end. When it did end we found out that I placed 7th and Ashley came in 12th. Pretty good results for Radical Media with an impressive number of Cat 1's and even a Pro or two in the field.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home