Maria's Racing Journal

This blog is a collection of my race reports and a few other random things. I am a member of CRCA's Radical Media Bicycle Racing Team based in NYC.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sturbridge Road Race, Mass. 4/26/08

This year it was a totally different course, a completely different race.  It was a more challenging course, but was safer overall.  No sharp turns, less traffic and no downhill sprint at the end.

Ashley, Erica, Elena and I represented the team in the P123 field.  45 miles, 3 laps.  The new course had plenty of climbing and the finish line was at the end of a 3-4 mile climb.

The field was together on the first lap but broke up on the climb.  At one point I found myself taking lots of wind up front and Erica jumped in to rescue me right when I needed saving.  What a teammate!  Our group was about 1/3 of the filed on the second lap and included Elena, Ashley and myself.  We organized and did a fast rotating paceline to assure that no stragglers joined us and we maintained our tight little group until the finish line.

The pace throughout the race was challenging.  I was happy that I left my HR monitor in the car.  I don't want to know what kind of numbers I had in this race.  When we hit the final climb I waited for Anna Milkowski or Beth Miller to attack.  I knew that they were both amazing climbers and that one of them would be the first to go.  I got on a Terry Bikes girl's wheel as we approached the summit.  I wanted to come around her so badly, but knew there was a head wind and that I should be patient.  Anna took off just past the 200m sign with a rider right behind her.  I jumped around Terry girl as quickly as I could, but couldn't get them.  I made some progress toward the line, but was happy with my 3rd place.

As a team we did awesome.  3 top ten finishes.  Me in 3rd, Elena in 6th and Ashley in 9th!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home