Jiminy Peak Road Race May 5th, 2007
Jiminy Peak Road Race.
65-75 riders registered. I placed 15th. 60k.
I was nervous and the ladies at registration were placing bets on how many crashes there would be in the ladies field. So mean! My friend Bill that I went with had a mechanical and never started, I was actually a bit
envious since I was so nervous. I think I was also a bit scared since last time I did a Pro123 race, I got dropped.
The climb in this race wasn't very long or steep, but it was just enough to hurt and the first lap the girls took it sooo fast and hard. I didn't. I just went hard enough to hold on and caught right back on to the ladies on the descent. I knew that I needed to conserve energy for the final lap's climb to the finish. It was very windy so being up front was tiring.
On the second lap, I made sure to get to the front on the last 1/4 of the race. I was taking wind and my HR was steady in the 170's. Mostly 174. Then the final 2 climbs came to the finish. After theturn the front girls took off and I went with them the best I could. Then I attacked the climb the best I could. My knees hurt a bit, but I managed to pass a good number of women. I never caught up to the girls at the front of the pack, but I finished not far behind them. I guess maybe I should have been even more toward the front going into the final turn, but I was a bit nervous to see such a high heartrate. I hit 181 HR on the climb.
I think next time I will leave my heart rate monitor in the car! Overall I was pleased with my result and achieved my goal of being in the top 15.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home