Maria's Racing Journal

This blog is a collection of my race reports and a few other random things. I am a member of CRCA's Radical Media Bicycle Racing Team based in NYC.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Empire State Games- Day #2, July 2007



ROAD RACE, 55 miles

Our plan with the road race was for one of us to go with Beth M if she attacked. Whoever didn't go with her was to hold back the field.

I was shocked at the condition of the roads. There were many long cracks that were deep, pot holes, loose gravel and sand. Of course the long descent was on a street full of driveways, a disaster waiting to happen! The first time down the descent our pace car suddenly slowed down almost to a stop. A car had pulled in front of him. Here were are a group of women flying on our bikes down this hill. I heard some gasps, brakes squealing and could feel my back wheel shaking. Luckily we all managed to stay upright. From then on, my back wheel was making the most awful noises when I went above 22 mph and it was vibrating. Scary!

The first time we got to the feed zone, our NYC team coach Bill M was there with water and "sweet" (accelerade). Beth took her bottle first and I was right behind her reaching for mine when I saw Beth M take off. Beth R quickly went with her and another girl in white went with them. I wanted to go too, but knew I should get my bottle and try to slow down the field so our Beth could get a medal.

After another lap, there was still no sign of the 3 girls up the road. Martha and I refused to work since we had a teammate up the road. I stayed to the back of our small group on the descents and turns since my back wheel was not right. When we got to the feed hill, I asked for water, Bill said he was out. No matter, I should attack and try to get away. I did just that. I attacked on the climb. A couple girls came with me. I sped up and we dropped one. Then I attacked again and again and finally shook the other girl. I then time trialed the final 6 or so miles to the finish. I looked back and saw the field approaching at one point. I sent Martha an ESP message..."hold them back a little so I can get away". She did just that and I put my head down and attacked again. A few minutes later I looked back and they were gone! I charged my way to the finish line and came in alone. I heard Beth R from the NYC cheering for me. My first successful attack! 4th place was never so sweet!! Beth R from NYC came in 3rd place, giving us our second medal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home