Green Mountain Stage Race Day #4 September 3, 2007



Today was the criterium in downtown Burlington, VT. I was super nervous about this race since our field had had a crash a day and this was by far the most technical and fast race of the stages.
Ashley and I warmed up together in the parking lot and then both made our way to be called up to the line. We were going to stay toward the front and out of trouble. While were staging, our race leader had a panic attack and was shaking uncontrolably. Another women threw up at the line. Great.
The pace was fast from the get go. Within a few laps we had dropped half of the field. I got bumped on a few turns, but was sure to be vocal. One Canadian girl kept saying she was on my right when she was on my left. I eventually had to yell at her b/c she was basically all over the place and couldn't tell her left from right.
On the final lap Ashley and I were in good position. With 3 turns to go, the woman in front of me flatted. I had to swerve around her and lost my momentum and my position. I ended up coming in 12th. A bit of bad luck, but at least I wasn't in the crash. (I wasn't aware of it, but there was a crash about midway through the race) A crash a day with this field, next year I will do the PRO 123 field for sure!
After 4 days of racing, Ashley ended up 6th in the GC and I was right behind her in 7th. 2 Raddies in the top 10, so we were all pleased.
After my race, I watched Cecelia race with the pro123 field and Chris race with the 3's. We then got pizza and drinks and watched the PRO12 men before our long ride back to the city.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home