Maria's Racing Journal

This blog is a collection of my race reports and a few other random things. I am a member of CRCA's Radical Media Bicycle Racing Team based in NYC.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Unionvale 123 race -July 2007

Unionvale

I chased too many attacks in the first 2 laps and got exhausted. Silly silly.....live and learn.

Elena was up front quite bit with me, trying to make sure nothing got away. Ashley attacked and the usual suspects in the group were trying to get me to work to get her. No way! Go ride away Ashley! (that is what I was cheering in my head, hope you could hear it Ashley) Andrea L from Lehigh got away. I tried to organize to chase her with Yvette, but no one seemed willing to really work. We would rotate for a minute or so and then no one else would pull through to help. It was frustrating and I was tired. Too tired to really care that she was gone.

My legs were fried by the time we passed the feed zone on the last lap. When we passed the parking lot, it took everything in my power not to turn right and go relax in the grass. But then I remembered Chris and Jessica said to meet them at the top. Guess I had to climb! So, I just tried to get into a rhythm and make it to the top without blowing. I had someone on my wheel and tried to look and see who it was. I think I was delirious, because I thought it was Ashley. It was Beth from Comedy. I had paced her up half the climb and then she accelerated to pass me at the line. The instant I saw it wasn't a raddie, I got pissed and suddenly learned how to sprint for a split second. I beat her at the line. I was letting her get away with that. Beth and I laughed about it later.

Overall this was a painful race. Next time I am sitting in more and not working so hard. I was just scared there would be a split and I wanted to try and go with it.

I ended up in 9th place overall and got a medal for being 2nd in the NY State Road Race Championship. Guess all of those ladies ahead of me where from out of state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home